The growth of craft brewing has been the gift that keeps on giving.
By 2016, many of the best breweries have expanded their lines and branched out with expansions, including, for several major players, breweries in cities on opposite coasts from their birthplace. While there are many great beers out there, I have a particular favorite that I search for whenever we go to a new place or spend time in the many excellent liquor stores here in Denver. IPAs (India Pale Ales) are incredibly tasty beers with a sharp, hoppy edge and, at their best, a big, beefy bottom.
This year has been a great year of exploration. At least half the beers listed here are new discoveries (especially the truly amazing Melvin 2×4 and Victory’s Dirt Wolf), but many of the tried-and-true beers (Breckenridge, Stone, and Dogfish Head) are represented and appreciated, as well.
1. Melvin Brewing | 2×4 DIPA (Alpine, WY)
2. Avery Brewing | The Maharaja Double IPA (Boulder, CO)
3. Harpoon | Leviathan IPA (Boston, MA)
4. Breckenridge Brewing | 471 IPA Barrel Series: Simcoe (Littleton, CO)
5. Firestone Brewing | Double Jack (Paso Robles, CA)
6. Dad & Dudes Breweria | Dank IPA (Aurora CO)
7. Dogfish Head | 120 Minute IPA (Milton, DE)
8. He’Brew | Bittersweet Lenny’s R.I.P.A. (Clifton Park, NY)
9. Victory Brewing | Dirt Wolf Double IPA (Downingtown, PA)
10. Green Flash Brewing | Le Freak (San Diego, CA)
11. Uinta Brewing | Detour Double IPA (Salt Lake City, UT)
12. Squatters Craft Beers | Hop Rising Double IPA (Salt Lake City, UT)
13. Brewery Omegang | Great Beyond (Cooperstown, NY)
14. Flying Dog Brewery | Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA (Frederick, MD)
15. Oskar Blues Brewery | Deviant Dale’s (Longmont, CO)
16. Stone Brewing | Ruination IPA (Escondido, CA)