This was a very good year for cinema, both for the films and the performances that made going to the theater more exciting than it has been in years.
Narrowing down a Top 10 list is never easy in a year like this, so those I’ve included this year are the movies I couldn’t stop talking about and/or forced more than a few friends to see for themselves. The alternates I sadly had to cut out include The One I Love, Guardians of the Galaxy, Calvary, and Borgman. They were all excellent films and deserve to be seen.
Below are the films that made a huge impression on me when I saw them, and stuck with me long after they ended.
- Whiplash (Sony Pictures Worldwide)
- Citizenfour (Radius-TWC)
- Nightcrawler (Open Road Films)
- Birdman (Fox Searchlight)
- Interstellar (Paramount Pictures)
- The LEGO Movie (Warner Brothers)
- Locke (Shoebox Films)
- Snowpiercer (Radius-TWC)
- Only Lovers Left Alive (Sony Pictures Classics)
- Starred Up (Fox Searchlight)
| Matthew Newlin