Reverend Horton Heat | 04.20.11

They effortlessly executed meticulous solos and breezed through the 23-song set.




As “Washboard” Breezy Peyton said, there were “two Reverends for the price of one” at the Old Rock House on April 20. Reverend Horton Heat kicked off their latest tour with Reverend Peyton’s Big Damn Band opening.

Though Jim Heath, better known as Reverend Horton Heat, claimed the band was rusty, there were no signs of it as they effortlessly executed meticulous solos and breezed through the 23-song set.

The show kicked off with “Bullet” and “I’m Mad” from their first release, Smoke ’em If You’ve Got ’em (1990), followed by “Big Little Baby” and “Loaded Gun” from The Full Custom Gospel Sounds (1993). From there, Reverend Horton Heat played a mix of newer and older tracks, such as “Martini Time,” and “Death Metal Guys.” The psychobilly legend showed his country side, too, with “Ain’t No Saguaros In Texas,” and “Cowboy Love,” which wasn’t even on the set list.

After a couple of awkwardly-placed slower songs in the first half of the show, Reverend Horton Heat picked up the pace. The band saved some of their biggest hits for the end—“Galaxy 500” and “Psychobilly Freakout” came shortly before the three-song encore, and the show ended with “Where In The World Did You Go With My Toothbrush,” “Bales Of Cocaine,” and “Big Red Rocket of Love,” during which each member was introduced and given time to solo.

The band, after 25 years as Reverend Horton Heat, still knows how to put on a show. Besides super-clean playing, Jimbo threw his double bass into the air and caught it with ease, and during “Baddest of the Bad” he put the bass down on its side and sat on it to play while The Rev stood on top. RHH paid a little fan service by throwing out t-shirts and guitar picks for the audience to fight over and shaking hands with the first couple rows of people.

The crowd, fueled by PBR tallboys and other adult beverages, loved it. Throughout the set people were dancing, drinking, and singing along. Although it was a fairly full show, with audience members both on the floor and looking over the balcony, there was enough room for people to move around. A mosh pit broke out on the well-lit Old Rock House floor during “Psychobilly Freakout.”

Reverend Horton Heat certainly started their five-month tour off strong, showing no signs of slowing down any time soon. As they finished the hour-and-40-minute set with a bang, the band was still smiling, ready for round two on the 21st. | Eva Connors



Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply